Monday, November 14, 2022

The Difficulties Are Perhaps Insuperable

A pebble bounced down the hillside and straight off the island. Doanu watched its progress while Ferdin stared at the ships entering and leaving port. "You know, Doanu."
"Doubt it." He kicked another pebble.
"I bet we could apply some of the construction principles of our ships to build ships suitable for other environments. Obviously we'd have to make all kinds of adjustments, but I really think it could be done."
"'Other environments?' Come on. What are you talking about? I shouldn't ask. I know you have no idea either."
"I'm talking about seaships, lakeships, riverships. All kinds of ships. Waterships!"
"Uh huh. Why would we want those?" Doanu swept his hand as if to mark all the sky surrounding the island with gold paint. "What are we missing here?"
"You never know."
"Hey! I'm not going up there after you clowns!" They looked to the foot of the hill and saw Ranoal waving for their attention. "Chief Lanneoru wants us! The order came down! We gotta reduce the oil usage!"
"Geh. Stupid oil." Doanu began to tromp down the slope. "What a pain. Where do you think those 'whale' things come from, anyway?" "I don't know. Maybe we can find them someday. With waterships!"
Doanu snorted.
Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment