Sunday, June 2, 2024

The Needs of Court

"Where is my marshal?" the king asked.
"Here, sire."
"Why aren't you fighting? You are dismissed. Where is my treasurer?"
"Here, sire."
"I see no treasure. You are dismissed. Where is my master of revels?"
"Here, sire."
"There is not the slightest sound of revelry in my palace. You are dismissed. Where is my master of mischief?"
"Here, sire."
"I have encountered no . . . wait, where are you?"
"Actually, sire, I am here. I hired a page to say 'here, sire' for me."
"Outstanding! You are now a duke. Where is my chamberlain?"
"Here, sire."
"I don't know what a chamberlain does. Find out."
Thus the chamberlain set forth, but nobody knew what he was supposed to be doing. They say on the night of the full moon you can sometimes hear him asking what his job is.
Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment