Monday, November 6, 2023

The Tyrant's Latest Raiment

Once, two magical tailors offered to make the dread tyrant Nikatok a suit of clothes never seen before which possessed the marvelous property that only the intelligent could discern the fine weaves. Though skeptical, the tyrant gave them a chance, funds, and severe warnings.
The tailors wove and enchanted. At last they presented the clothes to the tyrant, who went into the city to test them. "You there, citizen. What do you think of my clothes?"
"Sir," the accosted man said, "it's your prerogative to walk naked if you wish of course! You're looking quite chiseled, too!"
The other common citizens said similar things. The tyrant then sought out the wise. "You there, geometrician. What do you think of my clothes?"
The man tugged his beard in dismay. "I have heard only the intelligent can see them. Today I learned I am not truly intelligent. I must redo my calculations!"
The other esteemed citizens said similar things. Well pleased, Nikatok paid the tailors far more than they had asked and praised them as the only worthy minds in the city aside from him.
Before the tailors set out, they sought out the geometrician. "Can you really not see the clothes?" they asked, puzzled and worried.
The man smiled and avoided the question.
Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment