Monday, December 12, 2022

Treasure of the Giants

"Geh heh heh! You're in a bind this time, my friend!" For once, the villainous space pirate Macaulay spoke the truth. His three cruisers had moved into formation disguised as freighters before they ran up the black flag. Even the Bayard could not hope to escape them. "I'll take the ransom now, if you don't mind."
"Not at all." The attitude of Captain Winham-Ross as he stood on the Bayard's bridge with one hand behind his back resembled that of a man about to be announced at function thrown by a planetary governor more than someone brought beneath the sway of one of known space's thirty most infamous pirates. "Do you have the wherewithal to handle seven tons of Sindonian fruit? The containment fields required are far from standard equipment."
"Regrettably, I do not. I'll loot your brain instead. You're an expert in the traditions of the origin system beyond compare, after all. That has to be worth something."
"Beyond compare? I must say that Ambassador Geraud is exceedingly—"
"No no no! I won't hear a word of it. I don't have the time." Macaulay raised three fingers, and in response, each of the cruisers under his command opened three torpedo tubes. "Well, right now I have all the time in the world. But if you were able to tell me where someone like Fargus would be going if you knew for a fact he was planning an expedition to the origin system, I would be in such a hurry to get there first that I'd be forced to leave your ship intact."
"There might be much to interest a man like Fargus there, or nothing at all, depending on the legend in question. Do you have more information?"
"Geh heh heh! Since we're both stellar gentlemen, I'll confess I was able to learn he said something about 'the treasure of the giants.'"
Captain Winham-Ross flicked a speck of dust off his otherwise-immaculate coat. "If it's the treasure of the giants, I've heard Jupiter spoken of in relation to that phrase, though I can tell you nothing definite about that very questionable story."
"That's enough for me!" Macaulay's three fingers changed to a horizontal flat hand. His flotilla took off at top speed.
"Is it all right to tell him that? Anything that villain wants is something he shouldn't have," Navigator Bradel said.
"Your judgment is entirely correct. That lost weapon from ancient times can't be trusted in the hands of anyone alive today, much less a pirate. That's all right, though. He won't have it, and neither will Fargus, unless he knows to travel to Riordom first. Preparations must be taken before one searches for the treasure of the giants. After all, the reason the ancients used to go to Jupiter . . ." Captain Winham-Ross seated himself in his command chair. ". . . Was to get more stupider. To Riordom!"
Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment