Thursday, June 17, 2021

Notes on Ys V

Spoilers!
I used a Light spell on a skeleton and that did not eradicate the skeleton please refund my MP.
It seemed as if they had three different ideas for the story and never decided which one they were picking. They just threw in some of each instead.
That old guy saying nothing good would come of hanging out with Stoker sure didn't know what he was talking about. I figured Stoker would be the final boss instead of being friendly and helpful the entire way. What a twist!
MP as a number? Not even a bar crackling with eldritch potential?
The enemies don't care that Adol is around. Or that he's killing them. The designers had to put all of them in small rooms or on plateaus to contrive a chance for them to attack.
The hitboxes. Goodness gracious. I couldn't figure out what some of the spells did because they never hit anyone. Those tentacle grabby guys near the penultimate town snatched Adol from three screens away. What a mess.
The final complex is a million times more interesting than the dumb old Darm Tower. A town, important locations spread around, a lot of movement that isn't entirely backtracking, different graphics . . .
The menus are so experimental, so avant-garde, so clunky. I would say I respect the ambition, but I don't. They're menus that make everything take longer than it should.
When Rizze first appeared, I thought she was supposed to be an old lady.
The plot seems like it should hinge on the Kefins being trapped in the city, but they can leave any time. They also don't seem like such a big deal that sealing them away is all that important. They just had some magic that kinda worked OK I guess. Adol beat them all up easily enough.
That last boss sure was enigmatic. The enigma is who's supposed to care.
Overall I give it my slowest attack animation rating of Adol's arthritis/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment