Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Sundial

"I was told, little brother, that this sundial was special indeed," said Plous, shrugging. "How could a sundial be special? I trust the judgment of my buyers, however."
"Good, but don't trust their honesty. Everyone says you're too rich to notice some missing money here and there, and I hate it when everyone is right." Clous set down his cup and stood. "Shall we take a look?"
The brothers ambled into the garden where a pair of laborers even then were setting a pedestal in place and crowning it with Plous's latest acquisition. The workers finished and backed away, hats off, while the brothers looked.
"Big brother, I have noticed something special."
"As have I. I hoped it was an illusion, though."
"The shadow is on the wrong side."
"It is, yes."
"And moving too quickly."
"Far too quickly."
Plous and Clous considered the sundial as the shadow altered itself with no respect for the sun's position.
"Little brother, have you heard talk about the unseen sun? And the coming of the new gods, the End of the Facade, and so forth?"
"Yes, that madman Droumas makes sure of that with his tireless tongue."
"This sundial is . . ."
"Let's bury it."
"Excellent idea."
Plous called for the workers and told them what he wanted done. They did not understand, but they finished the work that very day.
Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment